Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Timeline

 I had been reading a book lately called 'Quitter' by Jon Acuff.  I'll have to be honest, I don't really love his writing style but he does have some great points.  The book is about Jon's story as a frustrated successful blogger who wants to be a paid author.  The book outlines his journey from his job to pursuing his dream.  Hence, the name.  I picked it up because, although I had already left my career to chase my vision, I wanted to see what I might have done right in how I went about it. 

If there was one chapter that hit me squarely it was 'Wait on the Main Stage'.  I think he did a great job of right-sizing expectations on when you can and should be able to see if what you want to do is really going to be a success.  Spoiler alert.  It takes  a lot longer than you think it's going to. 

That's my review.  I haven't finished the book yet. I am on 'There Will Be Hustle'.  Like I said, I'm having a tough time warming up to him.  I think what is sticking in my craw more than his sentence structure is the fact that he appears to bill himself as a Christian author and yet he makes not mention thus far about God having anything to do with his success.  Pity.

God put that chapter in my face for the coming weeks.  I have a vendor to make the t-shirts and I have a way to use one for all of the printing needs I have. They are also a christian company and I really like the founder.  He is a great guy to work with so far.  The slow down came just as we were making plans to look at online interfaces and get things loaded for everyone to see and most importantly for all involved, including God, purchase.  There's been some personal upheaval in the Ichthus family.  It can't be helped and we all understand.  Thankfully with business partners who are friends, broaching those conversations and asking for mercy in time lines is an easy one to have.  As the story has unfolded, I've been praying for the best possible outcome.  Meanwhile, the production end of the t-shirts is on hold.  We all knew this would be the case, but being human, I've had my moments of anxiousness about when things will be in place.  Add to the slow down that I am waiting on documentation from our vendor and everything to be seemed to be grinding to a halt.  My dream almost seemed to be suspended in mid-air and I was frustrated by the waiting to see when it would take flight again. 

An apologetic email came from one side and then another from the person I am awaiting the documents on.  Both very sorry that circumstances have infiltrated our efforts and with promises that things will be remedied as soon as possible.  Much as I would like to have everything up and running I know one thing.  God is not on my time clock. I am operating on His.  He is never in a hurry, nor does he procrastinate.  These stalls are for a definite reason and God doesn't always tells us why He has to do what He has to do to make things work out according to His perfect plan.  It's just how He is but I have many times marveled at how He seems to be able to make outcomes much better than my expectations and it goes buttery smooth if I just stop fighting Him. 

I sit here with laptop humming to tell you that being a entrepreneur sounds fancy to someone who isn't and being a founder and CEO sure was a glamorous title to me when I was just dreaming about it but in reality, it will test your integrity and highlight your shortcomings with great fervor. 

If you are starting your own venture, I can tell you one thing. Have patience, especially with those in business with you.  Also, read a lot of leadership books. My favorite is John Maxwell.  He is not only one of the best-in-class but he was also a pastor.  While his books are written for anyone in business, his principles are all biblically based.  If you are thinking of leaving your job to live off of your bank account until you succeed, I'd pick up Jon Acuff's book before you give your notice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment